For years, my mum has made cranberry sauce to go with our Christmas turkey, instead of using the very sugary stuff you can buy in supermarkets. Inspired by her, I created this version to share with you. It also tastes delicious on porridge or, as a dessert, on low-fat natural yoghurt.
- 1 x 415g can pear quarters, in fruit juice
- 100ml water
- 30g caster sugar
- 500g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 40 minutes
- 16 (1 tablespoon)
- 5 A DAY:
- Dice the pear quarters and place in a bowl with the pear juice. Blend until smooth and set aside until needed.
- Warm the water and sugar in a large saucepan over a high heat, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the blended pear, cranberries, orange zest and spices to the saucepan; and stir.
- Cook the fruit until it starts to boil. Then reduce the heat, cover the pan, and leave to simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Use within two weeks.
Why not use Amazon Smile for your shopping this Christmas and raise cash to help prevent cancer?